Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2019

Floral Birthday Card using Colorburst Powder

With my first expo around the corner I was reading the class descriptions and I noticed one of the watercolor classes was using this product called Colorburst by Ken Oliver. So intrigued I ordered some from Amazon and read the reviews beforehand to make sure it would be something I liked. 

My package came and sat of course until I could get some time to focus on it. The first watercolor panel I did I based with water then tapped the powder onto the card and watch is slowly bleed, it took forever so I helped it by mixing a bit..I didn't like that it washed the color out so I was disappointed. Next I sprinkled the powder on the card then spritzed it with water, this method is much better for vibrancy but I find that the color is thin and it takes finessing to get the right consistancy where the color is ontop of the card rather them seeped into it. Finally I took some powder and and put it in paint pallete the ever so slightly dampend a brush and started painting with it, a much better result because you get intense color and you can water it down to get various strengths or lightness of the color which I found incredibly easier to do than the no line painting method..in fact I really enjoyed these powders for painting than using any other product. I only have the Caribbean Brights for now so they will suffice I think for what I use. 

This image (Papertrey Ink) was made by embossing with a white powder then I just filled in between the lines with my color. You can see I have some shading that was easy to obtain with the powders that's a bit harder with the distressed inks or watercolors. I only used 1 color to which also gave me the more washed out pastel look. 


No comments:

Post a Comment