Monday, May 18, 2015
I did it!
Yea, I am so happy I completed one of the two superhero quilts that I am making for my grandsons. I took my time and just worked on it here and there and finally I completed one. There were at least two full days quilting this guy. I will say there are many, many flaws but if you don't look too closely it looks pretty perfect and the bottom line is it will do the job.
I originally decided to just bind it with the red color but at the last minute knew this would look a little bit better if I binded it with something else and decided to use the leftover Avenger's fabric.
I then quilted each border with a different design. The blue was just straight stitching, the yellow I did free range (i.e. just me moving the needle around) and then the red I used an arrow template that was a bit more of a challenge but I think it kind of adds to the feel of the quilt
This was a basic nine patch quilt and I just stitched in the ditch (on top of the seams) and did some guess work or rather visualization on the larger squares since there was no seam other than to the adjoining squares.
Here it is in it's entirety. I used a sheet for the backing so there is nothing fancy going on for the backside but on my next quilt I think I will definitely do a pattern fabric, which I already have planned to make. Something for my son this time, but first I need to finish the other superhero quilt which just needs to be quilted and binded.
I also have in the line up a quilt for my mother and ahem two Halloween quilts. For all you scrappers out there those stinking scrapbook companies like Basic Grey, Doodlebug and Bella Blvd all make fabric. If you think it's hard to resist scrapbooking papers well let me just tell you quilt fabric is just as evil er tempting. I saw some absolutely cute Bella Blvd Halloween fabric and I couldn't resist. So shamefully I bought it and of course plan to make my dd something.