Search This Blog

Monday, September 23, 2013

Cake Smash with a Recipe

So I finally was able to do a Cake Smash for my dd for my youngest dgs. We are only a month behind his original birthday but I don't think he'll mind too much. We decided to do a Harley Theme since I bought these adorable tee shirts awhile back and we wanted to have some pictures with him in them.

I decided to make a Peanut Butter cake with Dark Chocolate Frosting and covered it in Fondant..which I am now regretting because we didn't get those full on messy photos we had hoped so much for. This was my first time making a Marshmallow Fondant and I have to say I think I did pretty good for my first time out.

Recipes are below the photos.








Peanut Butter Cake

Makes 2 9" rounds

1 C Flour (you can use cake or reg)
1-1/2 C Sugar
1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsps Baking Soda
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 C Graham Cracker crumbs
1 C Peanut Butter
1 C Butter
2 C Buttermilk
1 tsp Vanilla
3 Eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Make sure all ingredients are at room temp before you begin

Cream butter and peanut butter with sugar until light and fluffy, add eggs in one at a time and let mix a minute after each addition. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add graham cracker crumbs to dry mixture. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk and vanilla; starting and ending with dry ingredients. Beat mixture on low until just moistened (too much mixing will make a tough cake)

Bake 30 to 35 minutes


Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1 C Butter
1 C Cocoa
1 tsp Vanilla
4 C or 1 lb Powder Sugar
4-5 T Milk

Cream butter with electric mixer until fluffy. Add in cocoa and vanilla, gradually add in sugar 1 C at a time, beating well after each addition on med speed. Scrape side and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk 1 T at a time beating well until light and fluffy. If need be add in a bit more milk.

9 comments:

  1. oh my that cake loos amazing!! i think your photos turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks way to good to smash, but it sure looks like he had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and fun smash cake. But I had to laugh at the beautiful but fun photos. They are great. Thanks for bringing me some good cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks fabulous, and he looks adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake sounds super yum and your photos are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds delicious! Love those photos, what a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. That cake looks amazing for your first attempt! You are very talented in a lot of different areas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These turned out super cute! Good job Grammy.

    ReplyDelete